Overview Description

Records of conviction for consumption of alcohol or intoxication in public places can be expunged by the court two years after the conviction, if the person has no other criminal convictions other than local traffic violations or simple misdemeanor motor vehicle violations during that time. Iowa Code § 123.46(6).

Ineligible Category or Citation

Applies only to the offenses specified in section 123.46.

Procedure General

The petition must be filed in court. For the specific procedure, see Iowa Code § 123.46.


There is no statutory language regarding fees.


The record of conviction is removed from the criminal history data files. Iowa Code § 123.46.

Waiting Periods

The petition can be filed two years after the conviction.


(non-prod server)