Overview Description

Records relating to an adjudication of delinquency can be sealed upon petition if the person is enlisted in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States. N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2A:4A-62(b).
(Cannot link directly to statutes.)

Ineligible Category or Citation

There is no statutory language regarding ineligible offenses.

Procedure General

A petition must be filed with the court. For the specific procedure, see N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2A:4A-62(c).


There is no statutory language regarding fees.


Upon the entry of the order, the proceedings in the case will be sealed and all index references will be marked "not available" or "no record." Law enforcement officers and departments will reply, and the person can reply, to any inquiry that there is no record, except that records can be maintained for purposes of prior offender status, identification, and law enforcement purposes. N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2A:4A-62(d).

Any adjudication of delinquency or conviction of a crime subsequent to sealing will nullify the sealing order. N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2A:4A-62(e).

Failure to enter the armed forces will nullify the sealing order. N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2A:4A-62(b).

Waiting Periods

A petition can be filed upon enlistment and acceptance in the Armed Forces.

(non-prod server)