Overview Description

Records relating to class A offenses will be sealed so long as the person has spent five consecutive years in the community and is not subject to any disqualifying event. Wash. Rev. Code § 13.50.260(4)(a).

Ineligible Category or Citation

The class A offense cannot be sealed if the person: was adjudicated or convicted of a subsequent offense in the five years prior to filing the petition; has a pending adjudication or adult criminal proceeding; has a pending proceeding seeking the formation of a diversion agreement; has to register as a sex offender and has not been relieved of the duty to register; has been convicted of rape in the first degree, rape in the second degree, or indecent liberties that was actually committed with forcible compulsion; or has not paid the full amount of restitution owing to the individual victim named in the restitution order, excluding restitution owed to any insurance provider. Wash. Rev. Code § 13.50.260(4)(a).

Procedure General

The petition must be filed with the court. Wash. Rev. Code § 13.50.260(3). For the specific procedure, see Wash. Rev. Code § 13.50.260(4), (5).


There is no statutory language regarding fees.


If the petition is granted, the juvenile court record will order the official juvenile court record, the social file, and other records relating to the case as are named in the order sealed. Wash. Rev. Code § 13.50.260(3).

Upon the record being sealed, the proceedings in the case will be treated as if they never occurred, and the subject of the records can reply accordingly to any inquiry about the events. Any agency will reply to any inquiry concerning confidential or sealed records that records are confidential, and no information can be given about the existence or nonexistence of records concerning an individual. Wash. Rev. Code § 13.50.260(6)(a).

For information on how a record can be unsealed, see Wash. Rev. Code § 13.50.260(8).

For further information on the effect, see Wash. Rev. Code § 13.50.260(6)-(11).

Waiting Periods

The petition can be filed after the person has been in the community for five consecutive years since the last date of release from confinement, including full-time residential treatment, if any, or entry of disposition. Wash. Rev. Code § 13.50.260(4)(a)(i).

(non-prod server)