Overview Description

Records relating to a conviction for a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor can be vacated by the court three years after sentence completion, so long as the petitioner meets the specified criteria. Wash. Rev. Code § 9.96.060(1), (2).

Ineligible Category or Citation

See section 9.96.060(2) for offenses ineligible to be vacated.

Procedure General

The petition must be filed in the sentencing court. For the specific procedure, see Wash. Rev. Code § 9.96.060.


There is no fee.


The petitioner is released from all penalties and disabilities resulting from the offense. The petitioner can state that they have never been convicted of a crime for all purposes, including questions on employment or housing applications. State patrol and local law enforcement agencies can disseminate information on vacated convictions to other criminal justice agencies. Wash. Rev. Code § 9.96.060(5), (6). The court records may remain available to the public after vacation. Please consult a legal professional for more information.


More information on vacating criminal records can be found here.

Waiting Periods

The petition can be filed three years after sentence completion.

(non-prod server)